Subclass 457 Visa Most Popular Migration Path To Australia
The past two decades have seen the 457 Visa be the most popular migration path for skilled migrant workers. These visas were the go to for the employer sponsored visa program.
In 2018 it was announced that the 482 Visa was to replace the popular 457 visa which has permanently changed the way skilled migrants can be sponsored for a skilled visa to allow them to live and work in Australia.
Subclass 482 Visa
The main changes that the 482 visa have brought about are:
- There are now 2 streams of the 482 – a short term and a medium term. In order to be eligible for permanent residency you must first apply for a medium term visa.
- In order to apply for a 482 visa you must have at least 2 years work experience following studies in the industry that applies to your skill.
- Higher levels of English language are now required – complete with more in depth tests, rigorous character testing and a requirement for police certificates.
- To be eligible for the short term stream, applicants must meet the “genuine temporary entrant” quota.
Subclass 482 Visa changes for Employers
It is not just applicants who are experiencing changes as employers of skilled migrant workers are also expected to adhere to the below criteria:
- Employers must test the local market first and prove that they have attempted to high an Australian or Permanent Resident before hiring a skilled migrant worker.
- Employers now have to pay the Australian Market Rate of Pay, meaning a migrant worker must be paid at the same rate as an Australian for the same job
Employers have to pay a contribution towards the SAF (Skilling Australian Fund) which has recently been implemented.
Should you wish to apply for a 482 visa consulting with a Registered Migration Agent will ensure you have all the relevant documentation to lodge your visa application.
Click here to gain your knowledge about Registered Migration Agents